Sunday, May 20, 2012

mini coconut key lime pies

The other day, my dad came home from Flemington with a massive box of avocados and he said "I bought this whole box for $4! Alright guys, these are quite ripe so lets eat as much as we can over the next few days!" Of course, I've been trying to find different ways to eat them: on top of wholemeal toast with a poached egg and pepper, in sandwiches with ham, cheese and tomato, in salads... And I noticed that all the foods I used them in were savoury. So I thought, why can't I try use them in something sweet like a dessert? Upon looking through the internet, I found lots of vegan dessert recipes using avocados and this one in particular caught my eye. Though I changed the recipe a bit due to lots of things I could not be bothered doing... Haha lazy old me. And not to mention I am short on time (I have a presentation tomorrow eek! Yet I am still playing around with food...). The end result? I loved these! I thought it could definitely benefit from the coconut milk in the filling as I had gone without, but it wasn't too big of a deal. I thought the crust was much too sweet when I was making it and gave it a taste test, but the tartness of the lime balanced out the sweetness of the crust perfectly. My brother and sister said that the crust tasted like Kellog's Crunchy Nut haha. They were scrumptious but healthy and good for you ;) So to the dessert lovers, why not give these a go? I promise you they will be tasty.




Mini Coconut Key Lime Pies
Makes 3 muffin-sized pies

Crust
12 tablespoons unsweetened powdered coconut (or you could grind up some dessicated coconut)
2 tablespoons honey

Filling
1 medium avocado
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lime
Stevia extract to taste (I used about 2g which is equal to about 2 teaspoons of sugar if you'd rather use sugar)
1 teaspoon of dessicated coconut (OPTIONAL. I used some to mix in, some to sprinkle on top after. I'd recommend using the coconut milk instead to make a smoother mixture though if you decide not to, it still turns out fine! And saves some calories haha)

METHOD
Combine powdered coconut and honey in a bowl and mix until a dough forms (I found that a stabbing sort of motion combines the honey and coconut better). Line muffin tray with muffin cases and press in the dough so that you have three pie shells. Toast in the oven at 180 degrees Celcius for around 5-10 minutes or until lightly brown.

While the crust is baking, combine all the filling ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. After the crusts are done, spoon the filling into the crusts and chill in fridge until set. Take out of muffin cases and sprinkle with toasted coconut to serve.

Enjoy your healthy treat to satisfy your sweet cravings!


No comments:

Post a Comment