Saturday, July 20, 2013

Ramen Zundo, Sydney CBD

Whilst I love a good bowl of pho, there's something about collagen-rich soup that has me craving ramen. K and I were on a mission to convert one of our fellow friends who is a ramen hater after her experience at Ajisen Ramen. It was nonsense that she didn't like ramen! So to Ramen Zundo we went, intending to convert that hate into love.


Ramen Zundo was packed when we wandered in for lunch. We managed to luckily snag the last available table. They have a loyalty program where if you order enough times over $10, you will receive a free dish. There is an open window with a view of the kitchen so that you can see the chefs hard at work creating your meal.

Zundo black, $11.80
I have a penchant for garlic so I picked the tonkotsu based soup with galic oil yay! The soup is nowhere near as thick or rich as Gumshara, but still absolutely delicious. There were beansprouts and shreds of cabbage which I found to be a welcome change to feel like you're being healthier and eating your veggies. And that chashu! It was so tender and melt in the mouth from the fat... I could eat pieces and pieces of that chashu alone!

Double soup, $11.80
K opted for the double soup, which is a combination of both the chicken and pork broth, creating a soup which is much lighter. For some reason, I thought there seemed to be a slight seafood-like taste to the broth despite the fact that there is none! That googy egg also looked so good, glistening atop the noodles.

Zundo white, $11.80
My ramen hater friend ordered the classic tonkotsu. The verdict? I can say with happiness that she will be joining our ramen adventures in the future :D Absolute love for the soup and chashu. I think K and I succeeded on our mission that day.

Next time I'm coming back, I am going to order extra chashu :P

So do let me know, do you prefer to have a richer soup like ramen or something lighter like pho?

Ramen Zundo
Shop 1030 World Sq 644 George St
Sydney, NSW, 2000
http://www.ramenzundo.com.au/

Ramen Zundo on Urbanspoon

24 comments:

  1. I really liked the Ramen here -- and I love garlic oil in my broth too. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of those noodle soups in this weather! And hehe we have ramen on the brain now too! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noodle soups in this kind of weather is the best! So wonderfully warming hehe.

      Delete
  3. Ramen seems to be all the rage now. Speaking of all things noodle, have you ever had Taiwanese beef noodle? Seriously that is the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramen definitely seems like it's making its way around - there are new stores opening everywhere! I haven't had Taiwanese beef noodle soup yet - is it good? :D

      Delete
  4. mmmm gooey egg + noodles = comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There’s some great looking ramen there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahh another one to try! there's just so many options. it is winter after all and it is comforting. I prefer pho, but that's because I've grown up with it. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there's so many ramen joints to choose from now! I guess it depends whether I feel like something rich, or something lighter. I love pho ad ramen both :D

      Delete
  7. as much as i love pho, ramen seems to be the better winter warmer! and gooey egg for the win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely super comforting in winter! Hug the bowl with your hands to keep them warm hehe.

      Delete
  8. i prefer a richer soup in winter, just like a warm hug for your insides!

    ReplyDelete
  9. GOD I LOVE RAMEN!
    Love the pics, but now I am so hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could easily have ramen everyday in winter!! So warming and comforting :D

      Delete
  10. This place looks great! I've tried Ramen Ikkyu, but really have to visit Ramen Zundo soon! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I've yet to try Ramen Ikkyu but I've heard good things about it! Zundo is pretty amazing :)

      Delete
  11. went to ramen zundo recently. i can't believe i haven't tried it sooner. sooo good! zundo black is my fave so far

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here!! It was on my radar yet I had never gone yet for some reason... How delicious is it once you add in the garlic oil? :D I always find it infinitely better with that extra hit of garlic!

      Delete
  12. So many great choices for ramen in sydney - I've only been to ramen zundo once, when it first opening. Must re-visit again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ramen community is definitely growing! Happiness for us all :D

      Delete