Monday, July 15, 2013

Mr Crackles, Darlinghurst

"Crackling you say? That you can buy in cups? I am so there!!"

That was my reaction upon first hearing about Mr Crackles a few months prior. After all this time, I finally found myself there, eager to try their pork crackling.


The stop itself is merely a storefront with a few stools inside. We managed to get in right before a massive line started, with most getting takeaway. There are only eight seats in total after all.


Because of the small store, you'll probably have to run off elsewhere to eat your purchases :)


My friends and I got pretty excited by just looking at the crackling on display. Look at the huge curls of it just sitting there!

Crackles classic - pork & salad, $10.00 for a small
After meandering off to a nearby area to eat our goodies, we dug into our pork salad with gusto, savouring the satisfying crunch of the crackling. The pork meat hidden underneath was also deliciously tender. I was glad that the salad was pickled, really giving that extra zing and balancing out the meat which was surprisingly not that fatty.

Crackles classic roll, $10.00
My friends who ordered the roll were also extremely happy at the fresh bread and generous fillings!

Sweet potato wedges, $7.00
The sweet potato wedges were very addictive and moreish. I believe the sweetness makes these wedges easier to eat more of and the fact that sweet potato isn't as starchy as potato is, I found myself munching on these quite easily. It also came with a delicious spicy aioli on the side that offset the sweetness!

Chilli cheese fries, $8.50
Like nachos, but with fries instead of corn chips! I find this combination better, as I tend to become quite sad when the corn chips get soggy underneath the beef mince and cheese. Potato is soft already, so I don't mind it becoming softer while soaking in all the flavours from the sauce in the beef mince. The melted cheese on top was like the icing of a cupcake - it just makes things that much better!

The man-servings did get to us in the end, though we managed to finish everything despite it all! It was too yummy not to. So are you all fans of pork crackling? And do you prefer sweet potato or potato wedges?

Mr Crackles
155 Oxford St
Darlinghurst, Sydney, 2010
80682832
www.mrcrackles.com.au

Opening Hours
Monday - Wednesday: 11:00am - 8:00pm
Thursday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
Friday: 11:00 - 3:00am
Saturday: 12:00noon - 3:00am
Sunday: 12:00noon - 9:00pm

Mr Crackles on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

  1. I've been here twice now as I was DESPERATE to try the crackling. They "sprayed" something onto the cup of crackling I bought -- like a vinegar type thing -- which made it a tad..damp (and weird).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity to hear that they spray something on it, because it was fine as it is in the salad! :D

      Delete
  2. oh man what i wouldnt give for a cup of crackling right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sherrie,

    The classic roll looks enticing but this kind of food tells me I need to go to the gym afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gym workout will all be worth it afterwards hey? As long as we keep our health up!

      Delete
  4. Those ads that say "eating/drinking/smoking this will reduce your life expectancy by X minutes"...well, I think this is worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! How can you resist soft tender roast pork and crackling? :D

      Delete