Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Le Pub, Wynyard

Despite all the restaurants that I've been to on my adventures in finding delicious food, a cuisine that I hadn't tried yet was French. Ooh la la! Definitely excited to eat some snails. My friends and I were meeting for dinner to say goodbye to Ms Dentist-In-Training for 6 months as she flies back to Queensland for her teeth studies. I had just come back to Sydney from a road trip on the Central Coast, so it was a big blurring rush of dumping my luggage, showering, and running out of the house! Somehow, I still managed to get there first :P

Escargots de Bourgogne, $15.00
Snails!! I remember when I was younger and we were in China, it was the first time I had ever seen snails eaten as food. I looked at him with wide eyes and shook my head adamantly when my dad asked me whether I wanted to try it. Ten years later, I'd like to think I've matured and am generally open to trying new things. So here's to escargot! It really reminded me of mushrooms in terms of taste actually. The sauce was really good especially when dipped with the crusty bread. Could've gone for a more intense garlic hit, but I really love love love my garlic strong :P

Collet D'Agneau, $26.00
Ms Dentist-In-Training went for the lamb neck with a quinoa and herb crumb, cauliflower puree, shaved cauliflower and pea salad. The lamb was cooked to a perfectly medium rare and everything worked wonderfully together. And despite hating cauliflower, Ms Dentist-In-Training really loved the cauliflower puree to her surprise! Those peas have been freeze-dried I think.

Confit de Canard, $26.00
I couldn't go past the confit duck! I'm a sucker for roasted beetroot and I love carrots so this definitely caught my eye as soon as I saw it on the menu. The duck was incredibly soft from the confit process and fell off the bone with just a soft prod of my fork. Paired with the carrot puree, it gave the game meat that subtle sweetness and I was one happy duck eating this indeed.

Say hello to my friends who happily ate their coq au vin and steaks! Le Pub also gives fancy water with a slice of lemon in it :)

I found the meal to be extremely good value for the quality of food that we received and would happily go back to sample more items from their menu! Very happy first French dining experience :)

Le Pub
Basement, 66 King St
Sydney, NSW, 2000
Stair entrances from both King St & York St
www.lepub.com.au

Opening Hours
Monday - Wednesday: 10:00am - 12:00am
Thursday - Saturday: 10:00am - 3:00am

Le Pub on Urbanspoon

26 comments:

  1. I agree, we thought that it was fantastic value here and the food was absolutely delicious. I loved the petit four plate too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh didn't try the petit four plate! Will give it a go next time around for sure :)

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to try snails, but I still can't bring myself to try eat them :( I've even ordered them before and not been able to eat it ..

    Oh and that duck looks amazingggggg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mind over matter! Once you get over the fact that they are snails, it's quite easy to eat :D The duck was very good!!

      Delete
  3. Friends! Best meal I've had in a while - this has to be our meet up restaurant next break

    ReplyDelete
  4. First French? Of many more I hope. There's a certain element of unmatched richness French has and who doesn't love snails... right...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes I'm planning on having many more French meals! Yes I did like snail (surprisingly) :D

      Delete
  5. Whoah the confit duck looks tasty. And escargots proves that everything tastes better with butter and garlic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butter and garlic really is the way into anyone's heart ;)

      Delete
  6. Those snails look good! I agree, the texture is very much like mushrooms and they don't taste like anything in particular - so lots of butter and garlic and herbs makes it delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of like a mushroom decorated with a shell on the outside :P The more herbs and butter, the better!

      Delete
  7. im a sucker for all confit ducks! bring them on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duck in general is just so delicious, but confit makes it so soft and tender and moist... Duck confit's the best!

      Delete
  8. i was sold the moment i saw those escargots! Le pub is so close to my work, maybe i might swing by one day to check it out~

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOAH! Those snails look HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture somehow made them look extreme - it's the angle I tell you!!

      Delete
  10. french food is awesome, its so rich and comforting! sorta like falling in love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly the description I'd use to describe French food! Makes sense for those romantic French :P

      Delete
  11. I don't think I could stomach the snails but the confit duck looks delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mind over matter! Try to forget that you're eating snails :P Hard to do so when they've still got their shell LOL. The confit duck was very delicious!

      Delete
  12. Dear Sherrie,

    I love escargot with the herb butter and garlic sauce and half a dozen is never quite enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't garlic and butter tend to make everything better? :D

      Delete
  13. really looking forward to your recommendation of the duck :-)

    ReplyDelete