Monday, July 29, 2013

Momofuku Seiobo, Pyrmont


As an extremely belated birthday present from my dearest younger sister, she treated me to a dinner at the Momofuku bar - what a darling :) Dining at the bar is as easy as 1, 2, 3. There is no need to go through the rumoured frustrating online reservation process. Just stroll right in after 6:30 and you could be eating pork buns in as little as 15 minutes without having to fork out for their degustation menu! I have desperately been wanting to try the pork buns here after really enjoying the ones from Ippudo :D


Our eyes were clearly bigger than our stomachs and we managed to order majority of the menu minus the pickled items. Shame because I really am interested to see what a pickled egg is like!

Pork buns, $15.00
The pork buns come as a serving of two and looked ever so inviting with two pieces of pork belly sandwiched in the middle with cucumber and hoisin sauce. Give a little squeeze from the sriracha bottle depending on how spicy you like it and it was perfect. The pork was so tender! The bun was so soft! It felt like biting into a pillow hehe. The flavour profile is completely different to that of Ippudo, so I really wouldn't compare the two at all.

Confit chicken wings, $16.00
Though the menu said wings, it came as a serve of three mini drumsticks and three wings. The chicken was deliciously succulent and coated in a super flavoursome sauce. Tried to keep it classy by eating these with our chopsticks :P

Spanner crab roll, celery salt chip, $22.00
While the crab brioche roll was nice, I wasn't particularly enamoured with it, instead being incredibly wowed by the celery salt chips on the plate! I would not have picked up on the very subtle celery flavour if it wasn't mentioned on the menu. I only paid careful attention because I was aware of it. That aside, I loved the chips! Thin, crispy, delicate. What's not to like?

Roasted rice cakes, xo, lamb, $17.00
I've had this dish twice now, with my friend ordering it when I came back for a revisit. When I first tried it, the ginger completely overpowered the flavour of the lamb. Was the mince beef? Pork? It was hard to tell, despite trying to get past that ginger hit. There was also a tad too much spice however, I still quite enjoyed this dish. It was quite addictive with the crunch of the outside of the rice cakes giving way to a soft, chewy centre. The balance of flavours on the second time around were spot on though! I enjoyed it much more that time. I'm just a bit surprised at the huge inconsistency in flavour at this high end establishment though.

Fried brussel sprouts, fish sauce vinaigrette, $15.00
I used to hate brussel sprouts but these mini cabbage-like vegetables have grown on me over the years. I generally enjoy them with bacon! However, this version won me over all over again. Slightly tart from the vinegar yet there was a strong salty kick from the fish sauce. Not to mention that crunch you get from the popped rice and the vegetable had slightly crispy outer leaves from being fried. I would've been happy with just this and a bowl of rice.

Top to bottom: bread & butter pudding, pear & almond, pecan danish, caramel au buerre sale, pineapple, caramel banana balsamic, salted butter caramel on toast, popcorn, lychee & coconut, fingerbun
And the sister and I could not resist getting a box of macarons from Zumbo right opposite of Momofuku. Special mention goes to the caramel banana balsamic which stole my heart! I was very wary about this one, despite the store assistant raving about it but boy am I glad we decided to get it after all. There was none of that artificial banana flavour crap, and it melded extremely well with the dot of reduced balsamic glaze in the centre of the macaron. Delicious! All of these were gone much too quickly. They were all way too delicious. I had my heart set on trying out the zonut, but apparently they are all gone by 1pm already :( Better luck next time I suppose.

Momofuku Seiobo
The Star, Level G, 80 Pyrmont Street
Pyrmont, NSW, 2009
http://momofuku.com/sydney/seiobo/

Opening Hours

Lunch
Friday + Saturday

Dinner
Monday - Saturday

Bar
Monday - Saturday: 6:30pm – 10:00pm
Friday + Saturday: 12:00noon – 2:00pm

Momofuku Seiƍbo on Urbanspoon

28 comments:

  1. you're right - the buns at momofuku and ippudo can't be compared because they're executed differently! Happy belated birthday. what a lovely younger sister you have to treat you such fine food :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly! The execution is completely different! Thanks for the birthday wishes Tina :) I'm very lucky to have such a lovely younger sister!

      Delete
  2. Totally want that spanner crab roll again :) and can't wait to try the Brussels sprouts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see the humble brussel sprouts on the menu, but I'm very pleased about it!

      Delete
  3. Happy belated birthday! And what an awesome present. I agree - brussel sprouts enter a whole new dimension when paired with bacon/pancetta. And the pork buns are amazing aren't they? So soft and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! Those pork buns definitely were like a fluffy slice of heaven! :D

      Delete
  4. What a lovely sister! And the menu looks quite different from what we had which is good-it's always a good excuse to go back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky aren't I :P Momofuku seems like they change over their menu a fair bit - to keep people coming back to try the new dishes!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Arghhh so do I!! Totally went back for pork buns round #2 afterwards :P

      Delete
  6. I haven't had the buns at either :( Which do you prefer !

    The spanner crab roll looks sooo yummy and with all that filling !

    Check out my blog when you've got the time ~

    http://alittlebitoftang.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both of them in their own different way! There was defs a lot of filling in that roll - but it's reflected in the expensive price tag haha. Haha I'll defs check out your blog!

      Delete
  7. I may have to pop down soon! must try the spanner crab roll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating at the bar is super easy so you might as well :D

      Delete
  8. Wowzaaaa you went! Definitely one of their best kept secrets is their bar. All the hype and wow without the fuss and overeating. Win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! You stroll right in and you get to eat their food :D

      Delete
  9. Woah! Pork Buns seems to be a popular dish at Momofuku. I've yet to try :D Love the sweet finish :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so tender and delicious :D I can never say no to macarons! Albeit a bit too many ;)

      Delete
  10. Gotta love birthdays where food is front and centre! Happy late b'day!

    Love the Momofuku bar, as far as value and accessibility goes, I'd prefer it over the main restaurant (Y)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food is front and centre even without having a birthday ;) Thanks for the birthday wishes! Have you dined at the restaurant? Gotta agree about accessibility and value!

      Delete
  11. Glad to know there's an alternative to having to book at Momofuku Seibo through that online system! The wings look excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that online system is a a huge pain... So the bar looked liked the way to go! I really, really enjoyed the wings :D

      Delete
  12. need to remember to head straight here after work. would love to try that spanner crab roll and of course the pork buns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The celery salt chips that come with the roll are so moreish!

      Delete
  13. Dear Sherrie,

    I've yet to go to this restaurant coz the thought of booking online seems cumbersome to me although I'm sure it's not. The food also seems a bit "out there" for traditional me. But I've tried making a version their buns at home and it's pretty delicious!

    http://chopinandmysaucepan.com/momofuku-pork-buns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the online booking system seems to be a big ordeal before even entering the restaurant! Ooh they have a recipe for the pork buns?! Thanks so much for sharing!! Gotta make these myself some time :D

      Delete
  14. Whaaatt I didn't even know you could just pop in for the bar like that! MUST VISIT NOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's seriously so easy! Get in early though, there's only 5 seats :P

      Delete