Saturday, May 11, 2013

Crossroads Bar in Swissotel, Sydney CBD

Has anyone ever met a girl who doesn't like high tea? There's something that makes us feel that much more sophisticated, sipping on tea in dainty cups while eating bite-sized dessert morsels, sandwiches with the crusts cut off and scones! Oh how I adore scones with fresh cream and jam... Of course my friends and I could not let the opportunity to buy high tea coupons for 4 for only $79 at the Swissotel pass us by!


The Swissotel does high tea on level 8 at the Crossroads Bar. We were about to be seated by the window overlooking Sydney, but we loved the look of the squishy couches and luckily enough for us, the waiter happily obliged us of our wishes and we sunk into the cushiony seats with sighs of happiness.


The tea and coffee was at a separate table and is self serve. There was a decent range of teas but I can't say I'm the biggest fan of bagged teas. I normally love loose leaf green tea, and while this Lipton one smelled absolutely FANTASTIC (had such a beautiful floral scent), it tasted extremely bitter... I'll stick to the champagne!


Service was extremely efficent and our stands came out super fast!


I always start with scones as they are best when warm! These scones were studded with plump little raisins and so good slathered with a tonne of whipped cream and jam :D


The tuna sandwich had a good amount of creamy tuna inside and rocket. The bread had pepitas (pumpkin seeds) scattered on top which provided a lovely crunch! I was a huge fan of the wrap which encased a soft eggplant which melted on the tongue, sundried tomatoes which made the wrap oh so flavoursome, rocket and cream cheese. The egg sandwich was pretty decent but I loved the smoked salmon, cream cheese and rocket mini-bagel! I like the texture of bagels - they are much like a denser bread.


Onto the dessert tier! The chocolate cake had layers of dense brownie-like cake and a velvety chocolate mousse. Very rich indeed. It was interesting that they've included jelly, green jelly as a matter of fact. I was amused at the novelty of scooping the jelly out with the little spoon. I very much enjoyed the profiterole which had a good amount of smooth custard inside but the waffle with whipped cream and fresh strawberry was a favourite! There was a light layer of sugar that was slightly melted so that it stuck to the waffle but maintained its crunch. I topped the waffle with the remaining jam left over from my scone to make it extra sweet! I do have too much of a sweet tooth...


Overall, I really enjoyed my high tea experience at Swissotel and a shoutout to my wonderful girlfriends who made it all the more lovely! Two of them had never had high tea before - I was glad that they loved it as much as I did :D

Crossroads Bar, Swissotel
Level 8, 68 Market St
Sydney NSW 2000

Opening Hours

Coffee and light breakfast:
Daily: 8:00 - 11:00 am

All-day dining:
Monday - Friday: 11:00 – 1:00pm
Saturday - Sunday: 11:00 – midnight

Express Lunch:
Monday - Sunday: 12:00 - 2:00pm

Tiered High Tea:
Monday - Friday: 2:00 – 4:00pm

Buffet High Tea:
Saturday - Sunday: 2:00 – 4:00pm

Crossroads Bar, SwissĂ´tel on Urbanspoon

10 comments:

  1. I love High Tea so much that I had it for my wedding reception. Fun & yum. I always start with the sandwiches first thoguh...I'm going to mix it up next time & start with something sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a beautiful way to host your wedding reception! Hehe, live on the edge and eat the scones first :P

      Delete
  2. I love squishy couches too! There's something so much fun about settling in one and having afternoon tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes afternoon tea just THAT much more cosy! Especially with a cup of warming tea - bliss :)

      Delete
  3. ive been here a few times for high tea and loved it everytime! and i could eat scones everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scones all day everyday! With lots of jam and cream please :D

      Delete
  4. We went here a while back, the high tea is soooo good :) I think Mr C was a bit lonely being the only male in the room though! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA high tea always seems like a girly outing doesn't it? ;) I'm sure he would've enjoyed the food! It definitely was delicious :D

      Delete
  5. always so good to hangout with girlfriend/s or mum over high tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like chatting for hours over tea with the girlfriends!

      Delete